Turner's Chapel was organized as a Sunday School in 1872 by David Turner Dye. Upon returning home from the Civil War, he saw a need for a new Sunday School and spiritual leadership in the community just north of Sanford. At 28 years old, Dye planted what would one day be called Turner's Chapel. The first meeting place for the fellowship was under a brush arbor, not too many yards from where the church building currently stands today. Meetings continued at the brush arbor until the weather forced the growing fellowship to find a new place to meet, which resulted in their gathering in a nearby chicken house for their meetings. By the end of 1872, the Sunday School was meeting on a regular basis and the seed for Turner's Chapel had been planted.
The church has grown much throughout the years, and nearly 150 years later, we're still meeting to worship our risen Savior and to "equip the saints for the work of ministry" (Eph. 4:12).